Tanner Gooding here, the arrogant, opinionated, and ostentatious developer. Although only being 17, I haven't attended school for over 2 years now and spend most of my time reading, researching, developing, and learning.
I nitpick over the finer details of programming and thus am writing my entire OS in assembly. I was actually once asked on #osdev why I don't write my OS in a high-level language, and as XgF so eloquently said, "Because _54 can't put up with a 5% inefficiency in code which he spends 1% of his CPU time on".
Lepidoptera OS is my custom microkernel OS that I am currently developing. You can find my latest screenshot, as well as a list of current hardware features here. All it does, as of yet, is boot with a fancy loading screen and a limited range of hardware support.
Lepidoptera OS is currently undergoing major revision to make a public release.
Useful Books & Manuals
- AMD64 Architecture Programmer's Manuals
- Intel® 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Developer's Manuals
- Compilers: Principles, Techniques, & Tools - Second Edition (Purple Dragon Book)
- Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software (Gang of Four Book)
- Michael Abrash's Graphics Programming Black Book
- The Graphics Gems Series & The Journal of Graphics, GPU, and Game Tools