XFS is Silicon Graphics' "Next Generation Journalled 64-Bit Filesystem With Guaranteed Rate I/O" designed for IRIX based systems. XFS uses the standard inodes, bitmaps and blocks, and is compatible with EFS and NFS filesystems.
According to the XFS white paper it has:
- Scalable features and performance from small to truly huge data (petabytes)
- Huge numbers of files (millions)
- Exceptional performance: 500+ MBytes/second
- Designed with log/database (journal) technology as a fundamental part not just an extension to an existing filesystem
- Mission-critical reliability